Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Week One of Transfer - October 3, 2016

This week was a pretty good one as far as teaching goes. We have been really putting a focus in the mission recently on finding families! We are really striving to find a family to teach. I was talking to one of the members we take to lessons all the time. He is preparing for a mission and has worked with a bunch of missionaries. He made a comment that really struck me. He said "Elders in all of my time teaching with you and other Elders I have never taught a proper family unit" I examined my mission and in all of my time I have only taught two proper family units. I believe that Satan works hard to break down family units within and without the church but I have obviously noticed that the families in the church are much stronger. I also feel that Satan works on proper family units outside the church and puts pride in their hearts to think they have it all. It is so sad when families reject the restored truths because they are not in a crisis. 

This week we experienced miracles though, we were able to teach a family from Nigeria, there is no father but there is a mother and two children age 15 and 10. They are very religious and faithful and seemed very excited about the Book of Mormon. Definitely the biggest struggle is the language barrier. We are teaching the mother through her 15 year old daughter. The mom Abosede can speak English but not 100%. We were able to set a baptismal date but we will really need to work with them to help them understand the covenant. It is one of the biggest struggles of Brandon, it is so diverse and there are so many people that don't speak english. We were also able find a family of 8!!! A single mother with 7 children between the ages of 1 and 13. She is so solid and 4 of those kids are baptismal age. The hardest part is teaching them because the range is so big. We taught them once, the father passed away 6 months ago and that is obviously hard. We are praying for them big time!

We again did a ton of finding! We street contact and tract at least 6 hours a day! It's a grind but it is fun sometimes. SOmething I have learned is that you need to make things fun otherwise they just stink. At the beginning of my mission I did not enjoy finding at all. It was just not fun but as you learn to love it you get batter at it and then you do less of it because people will actually listen to you. It is pretty neat. 

General conference was super exciting. It goes by super fast on the mission. Those days are tiring though, spiritual marathons. I think one of my favourite talks was President Eyrings in Priesthood and Elder Nattress' in the last session. Elder nattress' son went home from this mission the day I got into the field so I met him once. Crazy how small the mormon community is. 

Love you all

Elder Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment