Tuesday, October 13, 2015

General Conference Week

This week we spent a lot of time at the church! On Monday we got the chance to watch the funeral of Elder Richard G. Scott. It was really neat to watch that because I got to meet him like 10 years ago when President Evanson was called. There were some really great talks given and it was quite evident the sadness among the Quorum of the twelve to lose yet another member. I really liked Elder Christopherson's talk and the story he shared about the juice from the wineries. We taught some great lessons this week and focussed a lot on the prophet and apostles because of conference coming up! 

We also got to help a couple people move this week. Being the missionaries and having a truck just makes us the moving company but it is kinda fun to try to figure out how to get couches around corners and stuff. We put a real focus on teaching with members present at the lessons this week because it becomes very important for converts to have friends and feel welcome at church. We were able to teach with three different members this week which was a real increase! It also helps the branch strengthen and we will continue to focus on that in the coming weeks. 

We got to go to Nelson House again this week which is always a good day. We only get enough Km's to go there once per week so we need to make the most of it every time! We were able to teach two  new people and both expressed desire to be baptised! The tough thing is that to be baptised they must attend church and that is really difficult for those in Nelson House because of the drive. We went to stop by one of the members there and she wasn't home because she had a baby in Thompson. We came and visited her here in Thompson and after 5 days we were the only visitors she had had yet. It was really sad and she was understandably lonely. 
I got more out of General Conference this time than ever before, mainly because I was awake this time! I loved all of the talks but some of the best were Elder Hales on dating and marriage. You better believe I'm reading that 5 times when I print it off. Elder Burkman kept saying during it "You better be taking notes cause this is gold". I also really liked Elder Hollands on Mothers because it was a different kind of talk for him but he still got the point across well. Elder Anderson gave a great talk too, I liked when he said "Give brother Joseph a break". Elder Nelson's talk on women I also one I will read when I'm dating. It pretty much gives a check-list of things to look for in a women. Between his and Elder Hales talks I'm set! It was really neat to see Elder Renlund called because I talked to him a month ago! I was sad to see the physical condition of President Monson. I  thought he may collapse during his talk but I'm pretty sure every one watching started praying for him so he could finish!

After conference yesterday we went over to a members house and had a moose roast! It tastes very similar to beef just a little more wild! This Saturday is we get transfer calls. I think I will be staying in Thompson and Elder Birchall is leaving because he has been here for 4 transfers (6 months) already. After this week I will be done my training which is pretty crazy!
Love you! 
Elder Stewart


Elder Birchall and a younger "Elder Stewart".

This is the chocolate bar card that the Toly's sent. He loved it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment